Thursday, April 15, 2021

12-year-old dies weeks after attempting viral TikTok challenge, Colorado family says

 A 12-year-old Colorado boy has died weeks after choking himself for a viral “Blackout Challenge,” his family said.

The State

Joshua Haileyesus of Aurora died on Tuesday after being hospitalized and spending 19 days on life support, CBS Denver reported. His family said he participated in the “Blackout Challenge” and choked himself with a shoelace.

“I would never imagine my son would do such a thing,” Joshua’s father, Haileyesus Zeryihun, told the TV station. “I’m paying the price right now, I’m living the life, and I hate for other parents to go through this.”

Joshua’s twin brother found him on March 22 not breathing and unconscious, McClatchy News previously reported.

The “Blackout Challenge” is a social media trend that encourages participants to choke themselves until they pass out, according to The Denver Channel. Joshua saw the trend on TikTok and tried it himself before his brother found him, the Denver Channel reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment