Sunday, November 29, 2020

43 farmers killed in Zabamari buried

 At least 43 rice farmers and fisherman have been brutally slaughtered and beheaded by suspected Islamist militants in Nigeria.The workers had been tied up and had their throats slit in the horrific attack in Borno state, with up to 70 people feared dead. 

Daily Mail 

The attack is believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility, and villagers buried the bodies of the victims on Sunday.

It was staged in a rice field in Garin Kwashebe, a community known for rice farming, on the day residents of the state were casting votes for the first time in 13 years to elect local government councils.

'Over 60 farmers were affected, but we only have so far received 43 corpses from the farms and we are preparing for their burials today, Sunday by God's grace.'

The federal legislator said the farmers were attacked because they had disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman on Friday who had been tormenting them.

'A lone gunman, who was a member of Boko Haram, came to harass the farmers by ordering them to give him money and also cook for him. 

'While he was waiting for the food to be cooked, the farmers seized the moment he stepped into the toilet to snatch his rifle and tied him up,' he said.

'They later handed him over to the security. But sadly, the security forces did not protect the courageous farmer. And in reprisal for daring them, the Boko Haram mobilised and came to attack them on their farms.'

Insurgents also torched the rice farms before leaving, he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment